18 July 2008

My 'love affair' with Pepper

Pepper is one of the spices that I have always taken for granted. It has featured prominently in my family's cooking for generations so much so that its distinctive and spirited flavour has delicately blended with the family's taste buds that it has hardly become noticeable. The pepper shaker is a permanent fixture on the dinner table and enjoys equal status with the light or thick soya sauce. Commands, 'pass me the pepper shaker', often made impatiently, would reverberate around the dinner table. I remembered vividly one occasion; I had a really stubborn cold which plagued me for months and nothing seemed to cure it, not even the doctor's medicine. I was at my wit's end until dear Aunt Elsie paid me an unexpected visit. She had got wind of my malady and was adamant that she would use me as her guinea pig to try out her newly concocted 'antidote' for the common cold. She boiled white radish, carrots and meat with countless peppercorns for hours over a slow fire. The soup took absolutely ages to cook! Finally it was ready. My ordeal wasn't over. She forced me to gulp it down. Wow, what a torture! It was like hot lava coursing through my gut. But, it was worth it. I could feel almost instant relief and I wasn't kidding! I salute the 'King of Spice!' And thank you, Aunt Elsie!
Lately, I have been moaning and groaning about how much blubber I have accumulated over the years. Someone out there must have found my whining pretty amusing. Out of the blue, a friend whom I haven't heard from for ages sprang me a 'peppery surprise'. She sent me a cookbook titled 'Sarawak Pepper flavours the World' together with a cheeky note that read ' You might be keen to persuade Aunt Elsie to try these recipes and if you do, please invite me for dinner!' I leafed through the pages hoping to find recipes that would pique Aunt Elsie's interest and I did!. Thank goodness! She was fascinated and loved just about everything that was in the cookbook. I made a deal with her that for every recipe she tried, I would give my two cents worth and would share it with food lovers around the globe. Sigh...there goes my diet and waistline!
Her first attempt was the Serian Pepper Rice.