13 October 2008
STT: Jellied Seafood Terrine
JELLIED SEAFOOD TERRINE
Terrines add a touch of style and elegance. They make a refreshing start to dinner. Here's a terrine of fish and prawns studded with red and green peppercorns. Serves 4.
30gm cucumber, julienned
30gm carrot, julienned
30gm leek, julienned
150gm salmon, diced
150gm medium sized prawns, shelled and diced
150gm red snapper, diced
350gm fish consomme
6 leaves gelatine
1 teaspoon green peppercorns
1 teaspoon red peppercorns
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
1. Blanch the cucumber, carrot and leek. Remove and dip in iced water to refresh. Drain.
2. Poach the seafood, remove and dry.
3. Soak gelatine leaves in cold water until soft. Heat the fish consomme and bring to boil. Dissolve the gelatine in it and strain through a fine cloth.
4. Place a terrine mould in a shallow tray of iced water.
5. Pour in a thin layer of fish consomme and allow it to set.
6. Add layers of each of fish, prawns, vegetables, peppercorns, egg and chives. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up, then top up with the rest of the fish consomme.
7. Place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to set.
8. Turn out and slice.